As you probably saw in our announcement on Thursday, we are officially canceling the in-person portion of RVE Summit and will be moving the full Summit experience online.
We have thought long and hard (and as quickly as possible) to find the best way to make this a win-win-win for everyone involved. Here’s what you need to know:
As you can imagine, there are significant, hard costs for the Summit that have already been paid upfront to the State Park and other vendors. These include non-refundable deposits and purchases, like t-shirts, that we cannot recoop. Unfortunately, that means that even if we canceled the Summit outright, we wouldn’t be able to issue full refunds. Although RVE Summit tickets became non-refundable in January and circumstances with the virus are out of our control, we are committed to doing the right thing and delivering on our promise to you, in the best way we can. After much deliberation, this is what we have planned:
Main RVE tickets: For everyone who purchased Summit tickets, we will automatically be issuing a $110 partial refund per ticket. We will process these over the coming weeks.
We will also be providing the following:
And you are still welcome to use our discounted rate and hang out with the many attendees already here, should you keep your reservations at Lake Guntersville State Park.
RVE Junior: RVE junior ticket holders will receive a 100% refund today. These have already been processed so you should have an email from Eventbrite in your inbox confirming this. Please allow 3-5 business days for the funds to appear in your bank account.
Dinner tickets: Purchases made for non-attendees to access the Saturday dinner will be refunded 100% today. These have already been processed so you should have an email from Eventbrite in your inbox confirming this. Please allow 3-5 business days for the funds to appear in your bank account.
For those of you joining us at the state park, please take the necessary precautions to avoid getting sick or spreading the virus. Wash your hands, stay three feet away from others, and stay inside if you are ill.
Again, this is a massive bummer but like with any curveball we’re doing our best we can to adapt on the fly and make the most of this year. Our goal is to both create an awesome virtual summit and also honor all of our financial commitments to the state park staff, vendors and what’s been put into the event to date. I’m going to end this official-sounding announcement by just saying that we’re incredibly grateful for this community and everyone in it.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at [email protected]
-RVE Summit Team
Heath & Alyssa here.
A lot has changed and unfolded in the past 24 hours with the virus. Even with no known cases in Alabama, the risk of potentially being quarantined or travel restrictions has really upped the risk of people not being able to be with their families if more strict rules are put in place.
We’ve been getting calls and emails of people who cannot make the event and are concerned about being away from their families during this time. Also, we feel it’s important to do our part during this time to mitigate exposure, as many events and larger gatherings are being discouraged.
It’s the hardest decision we’ve ever had to make in our business. But at the end of the day, we have to do what we feel is best for everyone involved in this event given these updates.
For these reasons, we are officially canceling the in-person portion of RVE Summit and will be moving the sessions to a produced live stream with main stage talks and workshops still taking place virtually.
RVE Junior: We are giving 100% refund to RVE junior ticket holders and anyone who bought the dinner ticket, as these will not be taking place. Please give us 48 hours to process these refunds.
Main RVE tickets: We are currently working with all of our vendors and the state park to get through this situation in a way that takes care of everyone involved and the state park staff who we’ve worked with up to this point. That being said, our plan is to give some kind of partial refund for tickets, access to the virtual summit with our speakers AND also give credit for our next event that we will host (which, because of this fiasco, IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!)
I know this affects everyone a great deal. Our main goal at this point is to handle this in a way that is straightforward, fair and to treat everyone the best we possibly can. Trust me when I tell you this is a massive weight and it breaks my heart to do this. We’ve been planning this year’s event knowing it would be our last RVE Summit and for it to end like this is really tough.
For next steps:
– We’ve secured studio space with our friends at Armosa Studios and are in the process of talking with our speakers to confirm they can all still present for the live stream
– The state park is still open and there are still other attendees in Guntersville, so at this time you’re more than welcome to still come to the park.
We will be posting updates here throughout the day as quickly as we can give them.
We love all of you and this community and hope you understand the thought and intention behind this decision. Virtual tickets are available here.
-Heath, Alyssa, & the RVE Summit Team